New Mexico Alliance for Life Fact Sheet HB 220
I DO NOT SUPPORT FORCED TAXPAYER FUNDING OF LATE-TERM ABORTIONS IN NM
- Sending women to cheap hotels to deliver a dead or alive baby into a toilet is not healthcare – no matter what opponents of HB 220 say.
- According to Planned Parenthood’s Guttmacher Institute, the MAJORITY OF LATE-TERM abortions are elective, for reasons like relationship and financial problems or didn’t know they were pregnant. There are better solutions for women.
- NM statute 30-18-15 requires humane extermination of animals, and prohibits intra cardiac injection on a conscious animal—the same procedure is used to cruelly and inhumanely end the life of a human being during a late-term abortion.
- Why is intra cardiac injection inhumane for animals and not for a viable, living, innocent human being?
- The late-term abortion provider in NM is facing criminal charges for violating women’s rights and the law. I do not want my taxpayer dollars funding this.
- NM has the highest percentage of late-term abortions in the country- according to the CDC, 5 times the national average.
- 42 states have protections in place limiting abortion after viability of the unborn baby.
- 98% of governments across the word have banned the practice of abortion to the day of birth—except for countries like China and North Korea
- 80% of Americans agree with limiting abortion after 3rd trimester and 69% after 2nd trimester.
- Forced taxpayer funding of late term abortions must end. NM Taxpayers are charged $8,000 - $16,000 per late-term abortion, which is not health care.
- LATE TERM ABORTION IS NEITHER SAFE NOR RARE- MAJORITY ARE ELECTIVE
- Late-term abortions are used to terminate the lives of babies with down syndrome: 95% of downs babies are aborted, after 20 weeks.
ABORTION IS EXREMELY DANGEROUS FOR WOMEN: AFTER 16 WEEKS IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN NATURAL BIRTH- - Southwestern Women’s Options Consent form
- At 21 weeks or more, a woman is 91 times more likely to die from abortion than she was in the first trimester- OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY 103(4):729 (2004).
- Late-term abortion is a 3-7 day procedure with far greater risks than natural birth
- At least 2 women have died at a Southwestern Women’s Options late-term abortion clinic.
- hotel rooms are not outfitted for medical emergencies nor should they be acting as an outpatient clinic- Women instructed to deliver 27 week baby into hotel toilet by nurse at Southwestern Women’s Options.
LATE-TERM ABORTION IS NEVER A COMPASSITIONATE CHOICE
- Fetal abnormality testing is often inaccurate
- Prenatal genetic screening tests are not regulated by FDA and oversold by drug companies:
- Fetal abnormality testing promotes disability discrimination
- Babies who will not live long- natural death is more compassionate to both parents and child